Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Write On! Dry erase guided reading table that integrates math.


Susan's guided reading table that doubles as a geometry lesson.

                            I love dry erase anything!

     While teaching in Georgia, I had dry erase desks and it was awesome! I used them constantly for every subject. So, this summer I decided to buy dry erase paint and make my own dry erase table. Although it was pricey and reading the directions was a must, it was well worth it.

     I used the geometric shapes so that students were able to interact with them more often and not just during a geometry unit. For example, when I call students up to the group table, I may ask them to sit at the rhombus or the shape where opposite sides are parallel. They may not always know which shape I am talking about the first time but this gives me the opportunity to teach a super quick mini lesson on an attribute. The next time I call a student to the table, I can choose to add a new attribute to their vocabulary or review a previous one. There it is...math and reading in one swoop!
        
                   Have I mentioned how much I love it?
      I meet with writing groups and use the dry erase shapes for brainstorming or webbing ideas for their stories. In reading, I may use the shapes for expanding vocabulary using leveled readers by having the students jot down the difficult words when reading. We may map out a character and list all of their character  traits. There are oodles of reasons to love this project.  
                                           A great summer project!
      
                      

No comments:

Post a Comment